South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 10-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Regular User

Default Reciprocating or atmospheric dump valve / BOV

Hi guys,

I’m still learning about turbo engines so please forgive what could be a simple question.

Recirculating or atmospheric dump valve. (Or are they the same thing?!)

What are the pro’s and con’s of each? I’m not interested in loud whooshey noises.

Thanks again.

Last edited by darryl.k; 10-03-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Bronze Member

I think you mean recirculating!

Recirculating DV will put the air back into the system post MAF.

Atmospheric will release the air into the atmosphere, hence the whoosh noise!

atmospheric can cause jerkyness on light throtttle at low RPM (although i never experience this) its perfectly safe to run a VTA, the result of dumping it to the atmosphere is the engine will inject slightly more fuel than needed at a time when the engine is under no load so you may get more exhaust pops and obviously the noise.

I love VTA's to honest... but running no DV is the way forward, providing your tubby can handle it.

Last edited by Spooky; 10-03-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Regular User

Recirculating was the word I was looking for, cheers!

Thanks for the pointers.

Just bought a bigger intercooler, I think I shall be going for a recirculating DV. Next question is where can I get one from?
Old 10-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Regular User

Not having problems with DV, but as I'm fitting a bigger intercooler I thought I'd plumb in a new DV at the same time.

Also, wheres a good place to buy rubber tubing for engines etc?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Bronze Member

pretty much anywhere to be honest, ebay, loads of places online. just one example being merlin motorsport. But make sure you get stuff which is thick walled and will not balloon once hot and taking boost pressure.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl.k View Post
Not having problems with DV, but as I'm fitting a bigger intercooler I thought I'd plumb in a new DV at the same time.

Also, wheres a good place to buy rubber tubing for engines etc?
If you not having any problems with the DV then theres no point in changing it unless you want a bit of bling