South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 14-02-2014, 08:43 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Turbo Swap

Probably going to make a start at my Turbo swap tomorrow. I have done one before, but it was a while ago, any top tips or hints from anyone other than WD40 everything.

I can't remember do I need to drain oil and water, or from memory just water only and just a little to lower level ?. etc etc.

Cheers
Rob
Old 14-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

Don't pick a day that it's going to piss down if working outside like tomorrow
Old 14-02-2014, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Spare studs, bolts and new gasket to on the exhaust side, never done the other side.
Old 14-02-2014, 10:03 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Drain the header tank first otherwise you end up with coolant in your heat shield and lots of acrid steam when it burns off.
Old 14-02-2014, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

A big mug of tea or coffee and a bacon butty to start with I recon .
Old 15-02-2014, 10:42 AM

Looks like the job might be waiting a while yet. In the last 2 days the car has started perfectly clean and no puff of smoke on start up, and again today started perfectly clean.

I probably should have drained a little oil off a while ago, but noticed a while back the oil level was high, and now thinking its was just a case of over filled oil that has now burnt off sufficiently to stop it.... Think the car still has a slight heat shield rattle or possibly small blow on uppipe. But is only slight, and that job can wait until the weather turns for the better and be sure we are not in for any white stuff.
Old 15-02-2014, 02:51 PM

Doesn't answer why it was making a rotary grinding noise coming from inside the exhaust housing.
Old 17-02-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Doesn't answer why it was making a rotary grinding noise coming from inside the exhaust housing.
Agree but that might have been the heatshield rattle/blow or rotation noise coming back up from the engine block. But In time and and if I still have it, I will probably still be popping the turbo off to check/replace the uppipe and should then quickly be able to see if there is any issue with the turbo.

I've got a spare tubo ready to go on if its needs it and If it wasn't for the weather I'm quite up for the doing the job, but at the moment the car ts stuck in the garage gathering dust.
Old 21-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Further update and happy days....

Found the source of the rattle. probing around with a long screwdriver I managed to feel/source the rattle to the actuator arm and could noticeably feel it back up threw the screwdriver. So very carefully bent the actuator bracket away to tighten up the arm, and heypresto no rattle and better still is the turbo is now spooling sooner, with more of a punch and as I would expect. The car feels so much more responsive in the lower rev range.

Scott the noise was resonance on the actuator arm. Glad I didn't go to trouble of popping the turbo off.

Fallen back in love with it now...
Old 21-02-2014, 04:29 PM

Nice one.
Would be worth checking the tension on the actuator by popping it off the waste gate. The hole should 1/2 align with the spigot and need a tug of the actuator to fit on.