South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Bronze Member

Default Need some advise for possible new perchase please

Here it goes......

I promised the missus I would buy her a run about as she doesn't like the scoob ( result )..... So we have been looking at various cars of which her ideas were ford mondeos and vectras! My reply to that was baisically blank.
So I have looked and found a few which are close to home and tick the main boxes.

Leather interior
sunroof
6 speed
and jap

we/I have narrowed it down to two cars. 1 being a new shape Toyota celica 72000 miles immaculate in and out but has a rattle around 3000-3500 rpm, the owner had the shells changed as they thought that was the problem but turns out it's not, the rattle/tapping is still there. I tool the car for a test drive and it's ok. Just the problem above!

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Second car is a 100,000 mile Lexus is200 which has just had cambelt full service and having some cosmetic bdywork doing to it as he reversed into a post.

Opinions on both would be most appreciated.
Thanks Ryan
Old 08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
Bronze Member

id go for the lexus.
i had a v plate is200 sport and it was a dream to drive and suprisingly blindingly good on juice!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Celica problem might be as simple as a vibration or heat shield rattle, or something much worse and a complete nightmare.

Colleague of mine has a 2003 Celica VVTLi (the 190bhp one) and the engine went pop in that with only average mileage on it, they seem to be a car you need to abuse to enjoy - only really shift when you're doing 6500-8500rpm on the second cam. Guess a lot get ragged

Hate to lower the tone but the mrs was right, you could do a lot worse for your money than a Mondeo
Old 08-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Bronze Member

On the celica- defo not a heat shield. Personally it sounded like a breathing problem. When revving the engine whilst listening to the engine there was, what could only describe as back pressure.
When it hits 3000 rpm and up to 3500 rpm there is a knocking sound on the top, then it goes once over the 3500 rpm.

Thought it could be the lifters.

Understood about the mondeo but a 1.8 lx i just couldnt..

The lexus is a smart car and is lookiing in the lead at the mo. They are very nice cars.

To throw a spanner in the works, A classic wagon that is standard isnt out of the question?????
Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 AM
worzel

Of the 2 you mention I would go with the IS200.

Great car, comfortable, economic etc.

But, what about a Focus?
Old 09-11-2010, 08:44 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Lexus
Old 09-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

Go for the lexus mate great quality cars, also if you decided to choose the mondeo instead Emma on here can get any parts for you. Both are great cars but i'm abit more bias toward the japanese really lol
Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM
Bronze Member

Thinking the lexus may be stealing the show. Have always been swayed to the lexus.

Did think of a focus, just want to keep it to the jap scene.

My missus did find a rather nice Galant ( not the vr4 though ) Could throw another spanner in the works..
Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobaru View Post
My missus did find a rather nice Galant ( not the vr4 though ) Could throw another spanner in the works..
I love the Galant, nearly bought a 2.5 V6 Sport before i decided to get the scoob. Still think they're a bargain, a nice one can be had for less than 2k!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Bronze Member

Exactly the same as the one shes found, thinks its on autotrader? 2003 dark grey 2.5 v6 ( or could e pistonheads ).... They are mean looking cars form the front.

Last edited by scoobaru; 09-11-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: wrote the wrong colour
Old 13-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Bronze Member

After all the fuss with the lexus etc weve ended up with a 98 legacy gt

At least its in the scoob family Will post up some picks of both cars when i work out how to get them on
Old 20-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Bronze Member

Few Pics of the legacy
Old 21-11-2010, 08:28 AM
admin

Excellent choice the GT VDC

Good to have another Legacy in SES
Old 21-11-2010, 03:49 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks. Just the VCD has a fault.
Light comes on ( or rather the 'VDC OFF' ) and check engine light comes on after 20 mins of driving and dissapears when the car is turned of and back on.....

But apart from that it a pretty sound motor! Not too quick but just enough

AND ALOT quieter than the impreza
Old 22-11-2010, 09:25 AM
worzel

I'm liking that a lot.

Good choice that man
Old 22-11-2010, 10:52 AM
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobaru View Post
Thanks. Just the VCD has a fault.
Light comes on ( or rather the 'VDC OFF' ) and check engine light comes on after 20 mins of driving and dissapears when the car is turned of and back on.....

But apart from that it a pretty sound motor! Not too quick but just enough

AND ALOT quieter than the impreza

Sorry to hear you got problems, would recommend getting Stuart at East Sussex Mobile to look at it, really knows his Legacy's Looks after mine and scatz on here

East Sussex mobile thread
Old 22-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys

Have you got a contact number for stuart? Where abouts is he based?

Cheers
Old 23-11-2010, 06:41 AM
admin

Click the link above for contact details

They are based at Berwick but they will travel to you.....
Old 26-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks admin

Just a few questions. The car has started knocking, which sounds like rod knocking but wears off and sounds more profound inside. Ive heard this is a common thing with leggys. I had a legacy 2 yrs ago and didnt have this.
Have you had this when its cold?

Also as being admin, Is there any reason why when i go on to a topic the first post is at the bottom and i have to scroll up?

Cheers Ryan
Old 26-11-2010, 09:56 AM
admin

Changed your setting for you, should be ok now? Its in your user CP if you want to change it again

Mine does the tapping sometimes too think most of them do!

But only when its really cold! very low throttle? Wait until the cars at temp (oil) before pushing on

Mine was doing it last night, very cold, heavy frost, just eased off the throttle and it goes away. Wait for car to warm up and a few minutes later its fine and noise has gone.

Most are believed to be Tappet noise, although there are lots of explanations out there for it.

Some people have said that they were able to stop the noise by re-mapping the car? some people it makes no difference.

If it goes away once car is warm, I would guess its not an issue! however, perhaps better to get a service done and get it checked out just in case. May just have been using the wrong oil? Very hard to diagnose noise over the internet.

Highly recommend an oil temp gauge on these I expect you know but, don't push it hard just because the temp gauge on the dash says its hot

Edit: And being an import, run it on the best, highest grade fuel you can get
Old 26-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Mines not a leggy but mine knocks when its cold, its fine when its warm no knocking at all. I just make sure i'm extra careful on the warm up. i.e idle for a min or 2 then stay below 2k rpm while driving for 5mins.
Old 26-11-2010, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

looks very nice mate
Old 26-11-2010, 05:48 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Nice one mate

www.uklegacy.com is a useful site
Old 29-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the nice comments..

The knocking has only happened once to be fair. I was in a rush to get the boy to school.... so never warmed up. Fingers crossed it doesnt happen again.