South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 PM
Gold Member

Default Blobeye Headlights

Evening all (again)

Already made a thread asking about jacking points but also need to know something else.

When removing the head lights, there's two screws on top and a third hidden behind the bumper on like a plastic extension bit. What are they called and where can I get one please? My near side one has snapped and although probably ok without it, would like to replace it anyway. I'm sure you can do this as on the back of the head light, it attaches via two small screws.

Thank you in advance
Old 12-08-2017, 08:11 PM

You could probably replace with a standard bolt and washer, not got a specific name as such. I might have something suitable in the garage, if I get a chance I will measure the bolt in my car and see what I can find (failing that I work for a fastenings company!)
Old 13-08-2017, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
You could probably replace with a standard bolt and washer, not got a specific name as such. I might have something suitable in the garage, if I get a chance I will measure the bolt in my car and see what I can find (failing that I work for a fastenings company!)
It's the plastic arm bit that's broken, I'll take a pic, should have done so in the first place!
Old 13-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
It's the plastic arm bit that's broken, I'll take a pic, should have done so in the first place!

I know the part well, one of mine is in two pieces as well...

I got the impression it was the bolt that had snapped!
Old 13-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

No, the plastic bit has unfortunately. Should have posted a pic up as my description wasn't the best,haha.

Old 13-08-2017, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I know the part well, one of mine is in two pieces as well...

I got the impression it was the bolt that had snapped!
How did you fix yours or did you leave it?
Old 13-08-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyStu View Post
How did you fix yours or did you leave it?

I have just left it. When the time comes to it I will either replace if I can of just glue it back together.
Old 13-08-2017, 03:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I have just left it. When the time comes to it I will either replace if I can of just glue it back together.
That's good to know. I thought/hoped it would be ok without it. Probably have to go to a Subaru dealer to get another one, I'll let you know if I do.
Old 13-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Bronze Member

Just done the headlight mod on mine and one of my white arms was also snapped, exactly the same as yours Stu.
I just super glued it back together, it was broken and the headlight seemed fine in the car so never noticed before.
Obviously my OCD meant I had to fix it

Think it's main dealer part only but found the part numbers.

headlamp bracket (white)
drivers side 84927FE230
passenger side 84927FE220

Tein - Enkei - Cosworth - Toyo - H&S - RaceDynamix - Godspeed - Performance Friction - Hel - Pro-sport - OMP - HT Autos
STI 2006 Blobeye
Old 13-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Gold Member

Looks like part 7 on the diagram at this link.

I might be wrong, but hopefully that helps.
Old 13-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

As already said I would use 'gorilla' super glue it's very good stuff, just make sure there is no grease/oil on the parts.
Old 13-08-2017, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

Sorry, just seen the above post by Simon, which has the same part number... guess it is that then...!

Always good to plug oposed forces though. Useful resource.
Old 14-08-2017, 01:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon-Sti View Post
Just done the headlight mod on mine and one of my white arms was also snapped, exactly the same as yours Stu.
I just super glued it back together, it was broken and the headlight seemed fine in the car so never noticed before.
Obviously my OCD meant I had to fix it

Think it's main dealer part only but found the part numbers.

headlamp bracket (white)
drivers side 84927FE230
passenger side 84927FE220

Cheers Si, I've emailed a parts company about getting another so will see what they say. I'll let you know if they can get them, otherwise it seems they're readily available in America but not sure it's worth the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banstead Stig View Post
Looks like part 7 on the diagram at this link.

I might be wrong, but hopefully that helps.
Thank you, it was spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDLIFE View Post
As already said I would use 'gorilla' super glue it's very good stuff, just make sure there is no grease/oil on the parts.
I'll do that if I can't get another one mate. Used it to glue my tail light in on my C5. More chance of the boot falling off now!
Old 31-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Gold Member

Had to change headlights as the ones with the car were bodged and one filled with water and subsequently, broke. They bought and fitted an hid kit so to keep things simple (ha) I bought hid head lights from Matty B. All great, except when the original conversation was done, they evidently swapped the male and female dipped beam sockets around so the male was on the headlight and the female was on the wiring. Trouble is the new/replacement headlights have the female socket on the headlight (as they should be) and I’ve got a female socket on my wiring.

Any ideas where I can get the male socket (has red and black wires) from
, without buying the whole loom please?
Old 31-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

ebay apparently have a plethora of automotive lighting connectors

i needed mine in as rush and ended up at Jap Performance Parts forking out for the appropriate loom to butcher
Old 31-10-2017, 07:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riiidaa View Post
ebay apparently have a plethora of automotive lighting connectors

i needed mine in as rush and ended up at Jap Performance Parts forking out for the appropriate loom to butcher
I’ve had a look on ebay but other than ‘sti headlight socket/connector/block’ etc, I don’t know what else to look for?! Any idea what type of connector they are? I’ve seen ones called H4 and that but no idea if the one I want is a particular type, if you get what I mean?!

At £75+ I don’t fancy getting a new loom! Thankfully I’m not in a rush.
Old 31-10-2017, 07:16 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Default Blobeye Headlights

Well to save 75 quid it’s going to take you some hunting with different search terms;

automotive harness female socket hid

That kind of thing…

The best thing you can do is to find a seller who sells all different types of connectors like that, and then send him a photo of the part you’re trying to match up to, because he’s going to know the names of the different types of connectors and be some kind of demigod to you in your quest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 31-10-2017, 08:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Well to save 75 quid it’s going to take you some hunting with different search terms;

automotive harness female socket hid

That kind of thing…

The best thing you can do is to find a seller who sells all different types of connectors like that, and then send him a photo of the part you’re trying to match up to, because he’s going to know the names of the different types of connectors and be some kind of demigod to you in your quest

Very true! Thanks for your help, I’ll give it my best shot!
Old 01-11-2017, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Just so I’m right in what I’m saying, I’ve taken some pictures.

This is what is currently on my car

This is what it currently connects to

This is what I have on my new headlights

This is what I’m hoping will fix it

Do the connectors I have currently look correct or am I right in saying the wrong ones are on there? I have nothing to base this against as the spares they gave me, have had the connectors cut off.....
Old 01-11-2017, 02:02 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

I’m by no means an expert but the HID lights you have will have originated from a JDM spec car.

Certainly that’s where mine originated from. In my case I had a JDM bug, and facelifted if to blob, my JDM bug HID car looms connectors needed to be cut off and the connectors from a donor JDM blob loom cut and soldered on to my Cars loom.

I have looked through my photo archive for you but sadly only have photos of the bug connectors as I saved them to sell on along with my redundant JDM bug hids...

Old 01-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

I took my blob light to Jap performance parts to ensure I came away with the correct connectors on the donor loom and yeah it cost me in the region of 80-100 quid from memory...

If those connectors you’ve eyed up are a couple of quid and look like the right coupling for interfacing with your new lamp units, buy em and see.

Old 01-11-2017, 03:00 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
I’m by no means an expert but the HID lights you have will have originated from a JDM spec car.

Certainly that’s where mine originated from. In my case I had a JDM bug, and facelifted if to blob, my JDM bug HID car looms connectors needed to be cut off and the connectors from a donor JDM blob loom cut and soldered on to my Cars loom.

I have looked through my photo archive for you but sadly only have photos of the bug connectors as I saved them to sell on along with my redundant JDM bug hids...

Quote:
I took my blob light to Jap performance parts to ensure I came away with the correct connectors on the donor loom and yeah it cost me in the region of 80-100 quid from memory...

If those connectors you’ve eyed up are a couple of quid and look like the right coupling for interfacing with your new lamp units, buy em and see.

Thanks again for your reply. Yes, I have wondered if they’re from a JDM although the hid is a kit still. I’d have thought jdm ones would have it built in, again, I have nothing to compare them to?! They were advertised as for a blobeye too so surely they’d have said if they’d been jdm specific?! I have also asked Matt about the connectors and he didn’t mention theyre jdm lights and that’s why. I plan on cutting the existing connectors off and putting the new M/F on so that will cure it.

Ridiculous situation to be in. I’ve got three pairs of headlights and none of them currently operate as they should
Old 01-11-2017, 03:17 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

oh mine were oem HID mate, the ballast pack on the blob lights was kind of integrally mounted on the bottom side of the lamp housing.

Pictured left, resting on slam panel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 05-09-2014 11 58 57.jpg (90.2 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by riiidaa; 01-11-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
oh mine were oem HID mate, the ballast pack on the blob lights was kind of integrally mounted on the bottom side of the lamp housing.

Pictured left, resting on slam panel
That’s what I thought mate, the ones I have are loose fitted. Think it’s definitely from the ones that were on there causing the issues. I’ll get it sorted, just got to wait for those new connectors to turn up.... thanks for all your help, it’s greatly appreciated.
Old 20-11-2017, 08:03 AM
Rest in peace Jodie.

How did you get on?

Old 20-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
How did you get on?

Done it mate thank you. Matty B sent me a few bits off a loom for nothing (I gave him a drink as a thank you) and luckily two of the connectors fitted so chopped the connectors off my loom and fitted the new ones and it’s all ok.