South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 26-02-2012, 03:32 PM
Bronze Member

Default TD05 16G vs VF34/35

Just doing some ring prep shopping, and thought about doing turbo etc while doing Intercooler, and some other stuff.

Route I have decided to take with car is to keep the 5 speed as its nicer with daily driving compared to a test drive with a 6 speed I had, and have a nice pulling car with little to zero lag, thanks to the 2.5 lump. (2.5k full spool target). I'm not chasing numbers (as that gets expensive and not really my goal), just something nice to drive etc. So looking at options turbo wise and only thing I can find is that the TD's are more resistant to damage with Anti Lag (well late spark causing Pops and Bangs and flames), apart from that are pretty much the same.

So to anyone more knowledgeable, Is there any major difference between a Front Entry 16g and the equivalent IHI VF turbos? (34/35).
Old 26-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

Should add, cars a Hawk WRX, and only engine based mods are:
3 Inch Full Decat, K+N Filter and Remap.
Old 27-02-2012, 12:12 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

TD05 16g would need a front entry conversion, or be a already done one for it to fit your Hawk. Wheras the VF35 is direct bolt on.

TD05 will give slightly more power circa 10-20bhp but will be more laggy, but is considered to be a strong unit. But allot of TD05 16g's in circulation have covered allot of miles now, whereas the VF35's tend to have less miles with known history.

The TD05 would be cheaper than a VF35

On a 2.5 Hawk which is has virtually no lag, I suspect a TD05 16g would work well, and lag still wouldn't be that much on a hawk2.5. But if you like the feel of your TD04 then the VF would be on par, but give your the extra power (with supporting mods).
Old 27-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Bronze Member

Ok, Thanks mate.

Might try the TD as they are cheap as chips, and if its too laggy, Try the 35.