South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 27-06-2017, 09:36 PM
Regular User

Default Normal driving oil temp 100c+. Is this an issue?

Hey all,

Can I please pick yours brains.

my Defi oil temp gauge reads at 100+, crept up to 115 whilst driving around town last week when it was hot. Done some research and this seems pretty high.

It's a 2001 Jdm STI, basic mods ( exhaust, headers, remap), 10/50 millers Nanodrive, changed every 5k. Water temp doesn't change.

Should I be worried? Any ideas why it might be running so hot?

Thanks,

Dan
Old 27-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Regular User

I should also mention that when I brought the car over a year ago it would sit around 90c, I can't be certain but have a feeling it may have been worse since the oil change to 10/50. Could the thicker oil this be why :/?
Old 27-06-2017, 10:07 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

I am certainly no expert .
I would imagine that the slightly thicker oil would take longer to cool down.
Old 27-06-2017, 10:41 PM
Silver Member

Have you got a seperate water temperature gauge, or are you using the original water temperature gauge? Oil temperature in my car hardly ever gets above 90 degrees but it does have an oil cooler fitted. You may have a faulty oil temperature gauge? Above 100 degrees in normal driving does seem high, but on a track would be expected.
Old 28-06-2017, 08:39 AM
Authorised Trader

tends to suggest there is something else amiss as even with old mono grade castor oil in place that temp would be crazy...........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 28-06-2017, 10:17 AM

115 is very hot for road use even in the heat we've been having, thermostat and rads should bring overall temp down before the oil hits this.
Where is the temp sensor plumped into? and might be worth changing, though normally when these go faulty they tend to under read rather than over.
I can see 102/105 degrees sat in traffic (with an oil cooler) when its very hot and I've been driving briskly and then get stuck. (obviously can see a little more on track) but fans and rad should be doing a job of bringing down the overall temp of the block itself(oil included) under these circumstances.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 28-06-2017 at 10:21 AM.
Old 28-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
115 is very hot for road use even in the heat we've been having, thermostat and rads should bring overall temp down before the oil hits this.
Where is the temp sensor plumped into? and might be worth changing, though normally when these go faulty they tend to under read rather than over.
I can see 102/105 degrees sat in traffic (with an oil cooler) when its very hot and I've been driving briskly and then get stuck. (obviously can see a little more on track) but fans and rad should be doing a job of bringing down the overall temp of the block itself(oil included) under these circumstances.
Not actually sure where the sensor is if I am honest but will have to find out. Something is obviously wrong somewhere as it never used to be this high. I just hope it hasn't caused any king of damage. Will have to get it too the garage.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:43 PM

Default Normal driving oil temp 100c+. Is this an issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by festival500 View Post
Not actually sure where the sensor is if I am honest but will have to find out. Something is obviously wrong somewhere as it never used to be this high. I just hope it hasn't caused any king of damage. Will have to get it too the garage.

115 shouldnt hurt it, I've seen 127 at the ring and not had any problems it degrades the oil quite quickly though. The hotter it gets the faster it breaks down, once the cooling issue or sensor issue is sorted then change it out. Make sure cooling fans are working properly.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 29-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Oil temp should be similar to water temp. Most cars run about 90 DegC.
If you can get an OBD diagnostic tool on it check what the coolant temp is.
If this is nowhere near 115 I would doubt the sensor or gauge.