South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 31-01-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

Default Remap??

Hi guys

I've nearly got all my bits ready for install then remap, my plan is to get the parts installed at SMD then drive to SRR for remap with JGM. I know that installing a sports cat down pipe and a decat second pipe will cause problems for the ecu untill remap!! Will it be ok to drive the car to SRR if i drive like miss daisy (off boost) or would it be better to get the parts installed somewhere closer??

Thanks in advance
Sam
Old 31-01-2013, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

you should be good mate? ive got a full decat, managment is on due to lambda but have not had any issues yet, if anything it should give you more poke, when are you thinking of going?? im sorting mine this weekend so good to go! just after a run to see what its had if anything?
Old 31-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

thanks mate, i'll thought i'd ask first, best to be safe than sorry lol. It won't be for a couple of months yet, got to get funds together for the remap first
Old 31-01-2013, 11:28 PM
Nige

I'm meeting & getting a re-map at srr on the 27th Feb. See if you can join me
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
I'm meeting & getting a re-map at srr on the 27th Feb. See if you can join me
sounds like a plan!! be intresting to see what its all about!!
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogg123 View Post
thanks mate, i'll thought i'd ask first, best to be safe than sorry lol. It won't be for a couple of months yet, got to get funds together for the remap first
no worries mate i know were your coming from! as i said mines been running fine but if im wrong please someone put me right!! well hopefully get down there on the 27th then hopefully have my bits done and ready for mapping around the same time?
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Driving on boost with decat/sportscat without a remap is asking for trouble!

I've had a lot of work done at SMD and then driven to SRR for a map afterwards you just need to be uber careful, keep the car off boost and light right foot.

If you cause the boost to go higher than the map due to freeer exhaust etc. you run the risk of running lean which can equal det and a rebuild!

I'm having a tubular manifold fitted on the 18th then my remap is the 20th at SRR.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 01-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post

I've had a lot of work done at SMD and then driven to SRR for a map afterwards you just need to be uber careful, keep the car off boost and light right foot.

If you cause the boost to go higher than the map due to freeer exhaust etc. you run the risk of running lean which can equal det and a rebuild!

I'm having a tubular manifold fitted on the 18th then my remap is the 20th at SRR.
as nick says.....some of us have had to do a 1000 miles running in off boost before remaps, tedious but safer
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post

As Nick says. Drive off boost until the remap. Lots of short changing.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
Silver Member

cheers lads didnt realise this can cause det!! some serious stuff then! i best lay off the boost myself appoligies mate!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogg123 View Post
Hi guys

I've nearly got all my bits ready for install then remap, my plan is to get the parts installed at SMD then drive to SRR for remap with JGM. I know that installing a sports cat down pipe and a decat second pipe will cause problems for the ecu untill remap!! Will it be ok to drive the car to SRR if i drive like miss daisy (off boost) or would it be better to get the parts installed somewhere closer??

Thanks in advance
Sam

You will be fine mate. That is exactly what I did. Brent/Luke put all the bits on one day, then the next I drove up to SRR. Just do the obvious things as stated above, keep of boost etc. Its a boring old drive at those speeds though!!.

Steve
Old 01-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
cheers lads didnt realise this can cause det!! some serious stuff then! i best lay off the boost myself appoligies mate!!!
No worries mate, we all learn something new everyday lol.

thanks for all your advice guys.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

The only 100% way to be sure is to get the car mapped at the same place as it is tuned (or trailer between) however this is totally impractical in the real world, as long as you stay off boost, under about 3-4k rpm you'll be fine!

I actually had a forged 2.5 with STI AVCS heads fitted in place of a std wrx 2.0 and changed the TMIC to a FMIC, Simon came to the garage it was fitted at to do a running in map, and it turned out he barely needed to change anything, it would have been fine as a run in on the old map! But that was the exception!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Don't get scared too much by what's being said above.
The key factor is to ensure you do not generate any more boost then it would of done prior to the decat or sport's cat being fitted.

Therefore, keep the throttle movement light and slow. You don't have to drive like your 65 (how old is Big'E' now ??), just be careful if you do decide to pull a quick overtake.
If you have a boost gauge, keep it under around 0.7-0.8bar.

They don't tend to run lean so much, the problem is more the peak torque boost spike and increased held boost you can get once decatted, which needs to be re-calibrated during the remap.
The increased boost can cause detonation both at peak torque and high rpm due to too much ignition timing advance for the boost being produced.

The 'load' induced on the engine also changes and causes the calculated load value used in the ECU to be different, therefore you end up in a completley different region of the mapping, which can cause some leaning out, but only by a small margin. This does however not help with the risk of detonation.

It does however depend on the car.
Early cars were alot more tolerant to a decat and many people, some of us included, ran decat UK classics for many years without issues.

Classic STi are a bit more borderline depending on the model (STi 1 RA being the worst)

Newage STi do overboost / spike quite bad. The worst spiking I have seen after decat was on my own Hawkeye.
The 2.5 litre has another 25% air to spin the turbo, therefore once decatted is will try and boost it's tit's off.
The recalibration process has to reign in quite a bit of the boost control to get the boosting back to acceptable levels.
The advantage of this though is that you can generate near to, or full boost at 50% throttle, which makes for a great drive.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:38 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The key factor is to ensure you do not generate any more boost then it would of done prior to the decat or sport's cat being fitted.

Therefore, keep the throttle movement light and slow. You don't have to drive like your 65 (how old is Big'E' now ??), just be careful if you do decide to pull a quick overtake.

They don't tend to run lean so much, the problem is more the peak torque boost spike and increased held boost you can get once decatted, which needs to be re-calibrated during the remap.
The increased boost can cause detonation both at peak torque and high rpm due to too much ignition timing advance for the boost being produced.

The 'load' induced on the engine also changes and causes the calculated load value used in the ECU to be different, therefore you end up in a completley different region of the mapping, which can cause some leaning out, but only by a small margin. This does however not help with the risk of detonation.

Early cars were alot more tolerant to a decat and many people, some of us included, ran decat UK classics for many years without issues.

Classic STi are a bit more borderline depending on the model (STi 1 RA being the worst)

Newage STi do overboost / spike quite bad. The worst spiking I have seen after decat was on my own Hawkeye.
The 2.5 litre has another 25% air to spin the turbo, therefore once decatted is will try and boost it's tit's off.
The recalibration process has to reign in quite a bit of the boost control to get the boosting back to acceptable levels.
The advantage of this though is that you can generate near to, or full boost at 50% throttle, which makes for a great drive.

Ah, damn, you beat me to it. I was about to say that
Old 01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post

Thanks scott that clears it up for me!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Ah, damn, you beat me to it. I was about to say that
Ha ha thanks to you too steve
Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Silver Member

some intresting stuff there mate i hope you get paid well!! wish i new the ins and outs! i find mine playing about once hot like today! parked up went to the cafe come back and was idleing very poor around 200 revs! with either a misfire or hunting issue going on, give a bit of throttle and it sorts itself out so. i suppose this is one of the reasons for mapping? mine came with full decat+ induction, ive added a hks ssqv,i suppose without the map the parts arnt at full potential? plus a power run would be pointless due to risk of the engine detonating,
Old 02-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
some intresting stuff there mate i hope you get paid well!! wish i new the ins and outs! i find mine playing about once hot like today! parked up went to the cafe come back and was idleing very poor around 200 revs! with either a misfire or hunting issue going on, give a bit of throttle and it sorts itself out so. i suppose this is one of the reasons for mapping? mine came with full decat+ induction, ive added a hks ssqv,i suppose without the map the parts arnt at full potential? plus a power run would be pointless due to risk of the engine detonating,
The problems you are experiencing at idle won't be due to your modifications, and won't be resolved by a remap.

However, swapping the HKS ssqv for a propper dump valve i.e the standard one, may resolve your idle issues.

The decat and induction kit will however be causing the car to overshoot the target ECU boost levels, and the induction kit, depending on size/make, is likley to cause it to run quite a bit too lean.

The induction kit, depending on make/quality and anti-vibration fixings may of also caused damage to the MAF. A failing MAF will also give idle issues and possible stalling in traffic.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

good stuff i did notice a drop in revs when the ssqv was installed then cut out and hasnt done yet, filtet is apexi the car came without the oem air box il have a tinka and see if anything changes