South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 03-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Regular User

Default bugeye engine question/problem

HI all,ive just bought myself a bugeye 2001 wrx,the problem is first thing in the morning the car puffs a small amount of blue smoke out,once it has dont this it will be ok until the next day.
Ive done plenty of research,and have discovered that;
boxer engines can suffer this due to the design,
it can be caused by stem seals
it can be piston ringlands
it can be overfull engine oil or the wrong grade
and select other bits,
now i have been a mechanic for 14 years so i can confirm;
stem seals are ok as there is no smoke at all on overun whatsoever no matter the conditions.
Piston rings/ringlands id assume ok as there is no smoke once running,on boost,off boost,warm or cold,no real smoke from the oil filler and it just smells of oil
Oil is slightly overful,and im unsure of grade,i bought the car and the level was at the bottom below the min,so added a litre which maxed it,but have since discoved these have 2 max markings whethe warm or cold,so will be servicing it with new oil/filter and the correct amount of 10w40!
As to whether boxers suffer this i am not 100% google has turned up plenty of results and lots of people say a catch can helps.
I do have oil in the ic,throttle body,and turbo outlet,and inside the inlet pipe is oily also,this i understand could be caused by the overfiling of oil,as could the smoke on startup.
Now down to the main query,when cranking the car whether warm or cold,it doesnt sound like all compression is equal,its hard to explain,but its like 2 cylinders fire equal then the next 2 sort of skip by quicker,it will do this no matter whether warm or not,and with the crank sensor unplugged so it didnt start so i could check it.
I havent carried out a compression check yet although i plan too to clarify this,however when the car is running,it runs fine,no smoke(once started first time)no noises and smooth,plenty of power,nice idle etc,and just a tiny bit of oil vapour from the oil filler with cap removed when revved but this is a tiny amount only,not lots of smoke.
Basically im just after advice as to what people reckon,ive found out also it has a td06 20g turbo on,which explains the lack of quick spool so this will be going,im not sure if that could be contributing,although it looks new i think it might be an ebay turbo,so oill may be leaking past on the compressor side?
Well thats enough for now,any opinions fire away!!
Hopefully its just overfilled oil,but the differing sound when cranking worries me!

have posted on a few forums
Old 04-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Authorised Trader

not good if its over full........can potentially cause as many issues as not enough!!

ignore the higher notch on the stick (near the twist) and rely purely on the 2x drilled holes, just below the upper one is ideal and check when stood for a couple of hours or o/night as they are prone to false readings!!

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:26 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Not that it's the cause but is it mapped for the large TD06 20G !!!! as thats a big one.

With regard to the problem : If the TD06 is an ebay special from china/thailand or any other cheap labour eastern country then it could be the issue. it sounds like you have a fair bit of oil kicking around in the pipes, so check the levels and if OK consider the poor quality turbo as the issue.

if you can see any markings/manufacturer logo's/stamps or emmbossing take a note of it then google it.
you will probably end up on a poor translated site claiming power and boost and speed.
The do a search on the US site www.nasioc.com and you will probably read lots of stories.

Some of the compressor housings have been found to be glued together !!!!
Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Regular User

cheers for the replies guys!
Right i checked oil yesterday on the flat after switching off for 2 mins,and was a tiny bit below the cut out but over the drilled hole,car was warm,so im guessing overfull!?

The turbo was on the car when purchased,it is a huge thing and doesnt spool properly until 4k rpm!
The car as i know runs a normal ppp wrx ecu,so id say no its not mapped for it,i want to swap it back to a td04,as im only after 280 ish as its an everyday car,and it only does 17mpg as is,so dont want to get bigger injectors lol,it currently has the standard blue 440s in so i think a turbo swap and oil change with correct amount(whatever that should be) will be my best bet from what ive read,while all this is going on,im running the car on super u/l and have backed off the actuator pre load a bit to stop it boosting too hard as i know it will flow more air,and dont want it to die lol

Turbo by the way says;
td06 20gwh
oh and had TBO stamped at the bottom,not a genuine one i dont think...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM

LOL...they have a long list of dealers : http://www.tbo-turbo.com/dealer.html
to go with there Goodies !!!!!

P.S The 2001 WRX PPP is a piggy back GEMS boost controller soldered inside the ECU and patched into the boost control circuit. There are no fuel or timing mods so suprisingly crude for an official Prodrive product.

Basically it was rushed through for the PPP on the UK300 to satisfy customers hankering for the delayed release of the STI.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Regular User

Wow!! look at all those dealers! lol
I cant believe its just an on board boost controller,no timing etc changed!,like you say very crude! I suspect an avcr or similar would probably provide a better control,and also would not adjust timing but with better control of the boost etc!

Anyway thanks for the reply,im still in shock as to prodrives answer to a ppp setup,and the huge tbo distributor list!
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Here u go : http://arcanumdesign.co.uk/PPP2.html
Old 08-01-2011, 11:59 PM
Regular User

thats shocking,so its basically a baby board a bit like the old pectel for the 4x4 cossies l8 ecu by the looks of it.