South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 29-05-2012, 08:28 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Spoke to soon - Fooked Big Ends.!

Gutted the car performed so well at the ring, and did its job very indeed. But started car this morning, only to be welcomed with a nasty knock knock from engine. I had to trickle it to work a couple of miles up the road and was notably quieter by the time I got there.

But started to come home and noise was there again, and again better time I got home, but still there. Have parked it up and won't go anywhere now to avoid and further damage.

But defo sounds like big ends could be shot.

The car has been running silly rich all weekend, and probably a long shot but did wonder if oil could be contaminated with fuel causing the noise as the oil isn't working as it should. ?.

Currently looking like it might be going up for sale as a going concern along with a Simtek ECU with AL and LC, and a 6 speed box conversion.
Old 29-05-2012, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

oh man no way that would be a real bummer rob it is a true BM basher !!
Old 29-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

thats a shame Rob.....thought we had got away with car casualties this year
Old 29-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Sorry to hear that Rob. I guess the only silver lining is that it didn't happen out in Germany....
Old 30-05-2012, 10:25 AM

I'm trying to look on the bright side, and like you say good job it didn't go in germany either on the track which could have ended in serious disaster, or alternatively on the Autobahn at 175mph.

Can you just imagine the mess that would insue if I threw a rod out the side of the engine at 175mph. It would have been carnage......... or Death.

As it its its just money. I've had my fun with it and served its core purpose. and will likely bail out and don't be suprised to see it in the for sale section v.soon as a going concern. Its worth good money in bits even with a big end gone, but don't have time to strip it, and at the moment its probably only one bearing so fixable for someone who has enough love and time for it.

Will drop the oil this weekend, to look for any bits on the magnetic oil plug, but 90% it a big end.

Great car and shame I couldn't get to finish what I started - Will have a think about what next, but preffered outcome would be to try and sell complete car as is, as a going concern for around 5K. which would include, AP breaks, PPG, 321V, 6xdefi's, worked heads, FRP, STI seats, Milltek, 740's, Speedlines,APS front mount, DV.... and so on.
Old 30-05-2012, 11:23 AM
worzel

That's a gutter Rob, sorry to hear that
Old 30-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Gutting for you Rob but 175mph !!!!!!
The red mist may not of decended on the Ring, but it certainly did on the Bhann.

Drop the oil and check for silver/grey paste deposits and maybe chuck a cheap 5ltrs' in to see if it clears.
As you say could well be fuel contamination and you now have very thin oil, or even a worn cambelt tensioner.
Old 30-05-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Gutting for you Rob but 175mph !!!!!!
The red mist may not of decended on the Ring, but it certainly did on the Bhann.
All good mate, TBH I was half expecting to trailer it back anyway.

It took plenty of punishment on the ring as well It had more to give at 175mph but I bottled it and could see oil temp creeping up. I knew the scoob would have them up to say 130, but didn't expect to be able to pull them in at 130+

I'll drop the oil tonight as I have some cheaper oil I can try. The Oil does have a smell of petrol where it has clearly been running over rich big time. I didn't need a wideband to tell me that, I could smell it and see it in my rear view mirror at times. Knock count was quiet though. - I don't think changing will solve, but oil probably has been thinned by petrol which was possibly part of its demise.

So moral of story is running rich can be just as bad as running lean, and if you want to do high speed runs buy something german, which sort of confirms what I have always believed. The M3's albiet a bit slower would happily do whatever you can throw at it all day everyday.
Old 30-05-2012, 02:04 PM
Crowman

Really sorry to hear abou the scoob Rob
There just not a constant high speed car , as you say M3 can do it all day every day , need the soul and fun of a scoob with the German reliability .
Each time I took mine up to 150mph on the bahns I was waiting for it to go pop.
Old 30-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Bronze Member

I will by the v if you break it mate