South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Bronze Member

Default Stupid time to buy an uneconomical car?

I'm slowly creeping up on the chance to finally get something to replace the scoob. Should be early April sometime.

Was thinking is this a really stupid time to buy something that does really low mpg though, especially if spending a reasonable amount on it?

I'm worried that if fuel prices carry on as they are the value of anything thirsty will plummet and potentially lose me a fair chunk. Should i just plump for something like a 120d m sport etc?

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtiteen View Post
I'm slowly creeping up on the chance to finally get something to replace the scoob. Should be early April sometime.

Was thinking is this a really stupid time to buy something that does really low mpg though, especially if spending a reasonable amount on it?

I'm worried that if fuel prices carry on as they are the value of anything thirsty will plummet and potentially lose me a fair chunk. Should i just plump for something like a 120d m sport etc?

Dave
I think prices are all ready falling.Look at any high powered car and they are just not selling.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby999 View Post
I think prices are all ready falling.Look at any high powered car and they are just not selling.
Yeah, I've had my eye on a particular type of car and it seems they havent sold at all. Infact i have my eye on a beaut with low miles which would normally be knocking about at about 15k, it reached 9.5k on ebay. Guy seems open to offers too.

Just worried that my circumstances may change next year so need to get rid of car, if they dropped to 9.5k already whats it going to be worth then!!!!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Thing is mate alot of people are panicking because of the media spin and thats the effect its having on the cars, great time to pick up a high powered beast if your a petrol head but a totally crap time to sell unfortunatly, either way petrols on course hit £2 per litre espically if we get tangeld up with libya but even when its over the government wont put petrol down
Old 08-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Bronze Member

I'm just worried its a bit of a risk at the moment.

Take this scenario. Buy car for 11k in April. Comes to end of the year and with job move end up commuting or not needing car (could end up in London). Petrol prices gone up, car which does less than 20mpg worth all of 7/8k.... lose 3 or 4k in 6 months!

Is that a realistic scenario!? How expensive do you think petrol will actually reach!?

Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

How to say,i was in same situation like you,but i ended with not sell my wagon and enjoyed every day(now with more upgrades).

About petrol prices,you can go route which i was done,LPG is good and still cheap,but i would consider this option,on standard LPG system you will be able run around 340-350bhp...
Petrol prices can reach £2,if will be uprising still at Libya or other countries of Middle East and maybe we will ended like at '70..

Jura
Old 09-03-2011, 07:29 AM
admin

Who's to know whats best?

If you've found the car you want and at present can afford it, then go for it

Say you wait for a car you like because you think it will be cheaper in a few months, then the prices rise again? your no better off.

If you can buy a car you believe to be worth 15k now for less than 9k, your onto a winner anyway. Even if the car sells for 7.5k in 6months, your still within what you saved when you brought it.

You could always buy a cheaper economical car and regret not buying the car you really want.....
Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 AM
SES Mercedes Division

It's a good time to buy a performance car, but a real bad time for selling one.

My C230K has lost so much value in the last year - almost halved, it's not worth me selling it.

People can afford to buy the cars, but not run them
Old 09-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

The thing is at the moment I can afford to buy and run. But should circumstances change may need to get something more economical.

Do I run the risk and get something thirsty and hope circumastances stay as they are!

Dave
Old 09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Platinum Member

I think only you can answer this one mate
Old 09-03-2011, 11:23 AM
admin

You'll always be worrying about circumstances changing if thats the type of chap you are

If you think there is a good chance things will change and you will need to sell in the not to distant future, then I would say you can't really afford it at this time.

None of us know whats around the corner!

What you thinking of buying?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
SES Mercedes Division

It's looking more likely to be around £1.80 to £2 a litre by the end of the year. My car does a bit under 20 mpg and im finding it hard to run it at the moment, job uncertainty for me is looming big time at the moment too.

If you can afford it, do it. Enjoy while you can and worry about resale value at the time if you have to sell, just expect a huge loss coz not many people are buying powerful cars and its killing the market
Old 09-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

As mr anger said mate only you can answer this, you could allways go down the route of buying the car and enjoying it for the time being then when the time comes take it off the road and keep it garaged untill things settle