South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 13-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Regular User

Default And so i had my BMW e28 for sale and .......

Funny turn of events last weekend,

Chap came to view my Missus lovely blue old skool shark '85 BMW e28 525e on Sunday..
We were chatting in the garage looking at the car so i went inside to make a cup of tea for us while i left him to his own devices to look at the car .
Came out with the tea's and i was quite surprised when he said " im gutted but i can't buy it"!, i was a bit taken aback at this point because it is quite literally immaculate - sorned for 14 years,96000 miles, no rot whatsoever etc etc..
Bottom line is although not spectacularly tall (6ft 3in) he was very long bodywise and his head was on the roof lining!...
We tried every possible seat position and even though my 6ft8in tall mate goes in no problem Roy couldnt get comfortable.

Rain was lashing down outside by now so whilst drinking my tea we were talking cars like true petrolheads, he was a bit of a Vdub freak like myself and we eventually got round to talking about the RA.
I told him how great it was round the Ring and that i was blown away by it in general and that it was probably the best car ive owned, devastatingly fast, fairly economical for what it was and fairly cheap to buy considering the performance you get.
He asked if he could sit in it as he was now unsure of what to buy, he liked the retro stuff hence coming to look at the e28 but also liked the quick stuff having owned an Elise beforehand.
He fitted in no problem and joked if it was for sale, i said no and that i loved it too much and it was too much fun but i offered to take him out for a fairly gentle spin considering it had just thrown it down, well i think he was pretty much blown away by what it can do so on returning home it went something along the lines of "i think im going to have ot get one of these"!.
I showed him round the car telling him what to look out for and potential problems etc and said i would keep an eye out for an RA if he wanted, with which he said are you sure you dont want to sell it? -I said no again!!.
I told Roy what they go for and that anything between 2500 - 6000 is the price you'd pay for one and said i would guess that mine is worth 3500 and that whilst it could do with some cosmetics mechanicallly it was a peach and with the stuff ive done it is great on track.

With that he offered me 3500 quid for it!!......

I said i didnt want to sell but the reason for selling the E28 was to buy a diseasal for the missus and that the RA would buy a newer diesel than the money from the e28 would get.
I told him i would have a good think about it and let him know later that day.

I phoned my mate for advice and he said dont sell it!, but i think the fact he drives it on the Ring when we go might have something to do with it and then phoned my father who said sell it i could always get another one again....

So......

He picked it up on Friday....

Missus has a 52 plate Golf Mk4 GTi PD150 now, i always said id get her a Golf so she's happy.
Another turn of events is the e28 has sold and been paid for by a guy up in Scotland, tucked away in the garage now so ive bought myself a 2001 Cliosport 172.
Bit of a hectic week car wise!!!

Cheers Pete.

Last edited by tandino; 13-12-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 13-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

that does sound a bit random......shame to part with the ra thou.. i got rid of mine and not a day went past when i didnt regret it hurry up and sell the clio i had one very good fun but didnt last long before things started dropping off and electrics went cuckoo also got quoted £700 sheets from renault to do cambelt..as alot of smaller garages didnt want in on it lol.... so that got sold without it being done!
Old 13-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Regular User

Ah Camblet was done on mine 17,000 miles ago so no worries on that front, couple of things to sort but it will be a great car when done, very clean condition wise!.
Im happy but its no RA, still 41mpg on the way back from Essex last night cant be sniffed at!
Old 14-12-2009, 08:29 AM
worzel

Blimey mate, huge turnaround.

Such is life, it was meant to be I suppose.

Any plans for the next scoob then?
Old 14-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Regular User

Ive told Roy the guy who bought my RA that i want first refusal to buy it back if he sells it!, if i can afford to i will buy it back.
Trouble is both our cars were doing low 20's to the gallon, the e28 was just doing town work such is the nature of my other halfs job and it would do about 300 miles on 65 quid!, then i was doing 250 miles a week in the RA and it was getting a bit silly, we were spending about 75 quid a week on juice.
I'd always promised Mikala that the e28 was a stop gap after selling her Fiat Coupe 20vt and id promised i would get her a Golf eventually.
For a derv its actually pretty pokey, 150bhp and about 250lb/ft.
Oh and the clio is nearly as good on juice as the bleedin diesel golf!