South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Silver Member

Default Lateral performance headers

i have fitted these headers to my car and have a bit of an issue with them, they dont line up properly. The manifold is bolted in etc but in the center they do not quite meet. Have tried unbolting all bolts etc, there is just no give at all. The manifold does split fine too so not jamed. What are my options? I would like to start the car to get the manifold hot to see if it contracts after expanding, but i can not as have fitted Nismo injectors, so car will just soak the plugs. Dont want to spot weld it as if i do when it expands i am sure it will just crack the exhaust.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Platinum Member

they wont expand that much, something isnt right,
Old 04-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Silver Member

Think they are bent, thing is under pressure would that be able to pull apart, even though it is rock solid at them moment?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member

in the top pipe in that pic, the bar that goes across the join, it looks like the anchor has come away and is sitting 10mm to the left of where it should sit as there seems to be 2 weld lines to the right of the anchor ?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Spot on Andy, that is what the issue is. Can not figure out how to get them together.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

only explanation I can think of then is that the headers must have been bent or were for an engine with the ports closer to the blocks(Although I don't know if any engines had ports closer to the blocks)
Old 04-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

poss, engine been out and sat on the headers!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Authorised Trader

although the inlet port spacing/shape varies with the ph1/1.5 to the later ph2 cars the exhaust ports are ALL identical...............

as above. bent headers sounds more likely

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM
Silver Member

Gutted, and knowing my luck these are going to pull apart under boost.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

if they are bent back and that anchor on the end of the bar welded back on in the right place, they should hold.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Problem with that Andy is it needs to be on the car to know where to weld it.. did think that as well... Such a pain as map is booked for next wednesday..
Old 06-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

erm, how is that a problem ?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

ow i see like using a ratchet strap and try and pull together.. good idea mate.. Cheers.