South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 17-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Not a happy time

Well have got the scoob how i want it but looks like i may have to part with her Due to some changes that have happened over the last week and no improvement in my on going back problems looks like an auto is on the cards for me not what i wanted to happen and at this point i am trying to find another way.But if anybody is looking for a nice clean sorted scoob give me a shout.
http://http://www.southeastscoobies....ead.php?t=4019
Old 17-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry to hear that Wez , good luck finding a replacement Auto Leggie wagon???
Old 17-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Crowman

Wez
Thats grim mate,i know just how backs are, am still waiting for my mri scan results.
Good luck in whatever you decide to do mate.
Old 17-05-2010, 09:23 PM
worzel

Same as crowman mate, I understand about back problems, although obviously not as bad as yours must be.

Really sorry to hear this matey.
Old 18-05-2010, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member

This is really sad news Wez. Good luck with everything!

Old 18-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

Yep it is grim but if going auto means still driving then it's a must do thing auto leggy now theress an idea.
Old 18-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Nige

Hope it all works out for you mate
Old 18-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Bronze Member

Sad news to have to sell it.

Have you considered doing a auto conversion on your motor? A friend on another forum just converted their classic auto to a manual. I can point you in his direction if you want
Old 18-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Sorry to here this Wez and after all your hard work.

I hope your back improves soon.

Are you waiting for sum kind of operation at all??
Old 18-05-2010, 07:01 PM
Silver Member

Yep waiting is all part of the problem.The op they want to do could go well which would mean walking and normal activities would be fine but it could also go very wrong which would end with me not being able to much at all.They have already had two goes at fixing it with no luck.They think driving manual is not helping i have been lucky to get an extra 2 years as they wanted me to go auto when it first went.
Old 18-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Bronze Member

Wez

I feel for you, but here's a story.

In late 1993 I suffered a prolapsed L1 and L2 disc. I couldn't walk, I couldn't drive, was in constant pain and had roughly 6 months off work. Without pain killers I needed 4 pints of Stella to numb the pain!

The DR tried everything including different physio techniques and a few weeks of traction. Nothing was working.

I was lucky to have PPP (not Prodive) and went under the knife in March 1994. I had a 3 hour Discectomy and then spent 9 days in hospital. I then had 4 weeks of physio, swimming, walking and was fit for work again in May 1994. I ditched my manual Pug (XSi 309) for an auto Carlton CDi. The best decision I ever made and kept it for 7 years... at which point I bought my 1st Impreza.

I'll be honest with you and say I had set backs and even now I can hurt my back very easily, but I can drive, swim, ride a bike and carry things without too many problems. All my lower discs are not strong and after a scan in 2003 showed 1 could get pretty bad in later life, but I'll cross that bridge when I have to.

The operation worked for me, but has left me with numb heels and the possibility of a crap time in old age.

Go 'auto' and see what happens. At one point I never thought I'd drive a manual again... but I did ...and have now had 4 since the op.

Chin up mate.

Last edited by Squadron-Leader; 18-05-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 18-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Sad news Wez, I hope it all works out for you and the op goes well.
My father has just had some disks removed and others fused (or something), and it was amazing to see how quick he was up and about again. In fact the doctors pretty much forced him to walk to the loo's from the ward.
Old 18-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys for the advise.What they did on the last two op's is try and sort the disc's out they have been trimmed which did not work as they found it was long term damage my doctor never picked up on he told me it was pulled muscles for about 8 years if they had sorted it then i would not be like this now.The 2nd op was to put jell packs in these lasted 5 days but when the popped they moved the vertebrae inbetween they now have to do a Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization which if it works great but if it does not then it realy is not good news so they have left it as i can walk so come back when i can not then it can only get better.I can see where they are coming from but i have noticed over the last few weeks the good days are getting less i could take more pain killers but this only masks the problem.As for the scoob after having a good chat tonight with a few people and them pointing out just how much i have done to it perhaps i am jumping the gun a bit and should keep her till it gets to the point i can not drive with manual then make the change.After taking this a well do i realy want to sell
Old 19-05-2010, 09:06 AM
worzel

My bottom 2 discs have prolapsed and then fused so that on one side they are approx 4cm and the othe is 2.5cm. It's like a wedge basically. I have suffered years of pain from it.

As it is now, I have a massage every 2 weeks and a McTimoney Chiropractor session every 3 months. Just to keep things in check. Without this ongoing treatment I would be ****ed. I have decided not to have surgery as the chances I was given were pretty much 50/50 of success. These were not good enough odds for me.

I would seriously recommend regular massage (not the sports variant, as that's quite harsh) and maybe regular MOT's with a chiropractor.
Old 19-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Sounds a bit like mine could be worth a look.The odds they gave me on the op where 30/70
Old 19-05-2010, 10:24 AM
worzel

They are not good odds mate

Mines pretty nippy at the moment, after the Brands Session. I am eating co-codamol, voltarol and diazipan like smarties at the moment
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beck View Post
Sad news to have to sell it.

Have you considered doing a auto conversion on your motor? A friend on another forum just converted their classic auto to a manual. I can point you in his direction if you want

hi mate id be very greatful if you could point me in your friends direction as im going to do a conversion

if this is possible then thank you so much in advance
Old 08-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member

Aww so sorry to hear this, also feel your pain, i have 2 fractures in my spine after a riding accident and have also tried all the usual physio, accupuncture, painkillers etc, and after 3 years and one rubbish op they are finally gonna (attempt to) sort it.
I hope you get fixed real soon as back pain is no joke, lovely Scooby though shame you have to part with it x