South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 19-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Bronze Member

Default Cut out and will not start

Reversed off the drive this morning, cleared the windows, went to pull off and as soon as I went into second it stalled and will not restart. Any ideas, i was thinking fuel issue? Ran perfectly fine for a good minute whilst the windows cleared.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-2017, 10:16 AM

Can you hear the fuel pump priming when you turn the key but before starting the engine? It should make a noticeable whine/drone for a second or two from the back of the car.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:56 PM
Bronze Member

I will try that first when I get in.

Old 19-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Regular User

Yeah defo check see if fuel pumps running, had this with a Our rx8 at a friends. he had been trying to start it for 24hours, i rocked up smacked the fuel pump relay started straight away.. he hated me after that one

sounds immobilizer or fuel pump related, guessing its turning over and just not starting
Old 19-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

It's turning over, just seem to cut out when I popped it into second and went to accelerate.

Old 20-09-2017, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

It's the fuel pump or relay connection. I heard the pump on 2 occasions and it started up but the other 30 times you couldn't hear pump and then wouldn't start. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know the outcome.

Old 20-09-2017, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

Another twist, relay has 12v in and out but at the pump its only 1v. Is there something inbetween the relay and pump?

Old 20-09-2017, 09:00 PM
Regular User

Hmm i don't know.. guessing the immobiliser is before the relay.. i am new to these so i don't know sorry
Old 20-09-2017, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Possibly the immobiliser, I know the old Sigmas had a 2 circuit immobiliser, one cut the ignition and the other cut the supply to the fuel pump. Sounds like you need to do a bit of tracing of wires unfortunately. Just out of interest, is the wire that comes from the fuel pump relay the same colour as the wire that goes into the pump, that should tell you if it goes via somewhere else.
Old 20-09-2017, 09:25 PM
Bronze Member

Yes, the wire is the same. Is there a fuel pump controller?

Old 20-09-2017, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Ecu will activate the fuel pump relay, I'd be looking for a break in the wire or connectors , on the classics it sometimes wears through under the seat.
Old 22-09-2017, 08:06 PM
Bronze Member

All fixed, there was 2 cables which came loose in the connector for the fuel pump controller, this was causing power fluctuation too the pump causing it to cut out. All connected up and running again. Thanks all for your ideas.