South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 26-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Regular User

Default Advice on rolling on rolling road figures

Hello, I decided to go and get a rolling road done on one of my Subaru's as I was just interested to see what she was putting down as she seems very rapid!

I'm not going to name the company as I'm not sure that's aloud. But it was done on a mustang dyno.

The car in question is a 1998 subaru wrx with a td04 turbo running 1.0bar of boost and a massive front mount intercoller. Along with a few other supporting mods.

Now these are the figures I received

156whp + 211nm

223bhp +300nm flywheel

Does this sound about right or is the machine being about right on giving me more numbers? 😂😂
Old 26-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I was at about - 270 on a TD04 with std TMIC and 3' sports cat exhaust!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 26-04-2017, 04:22 PM
Regular User

I thought it was abit on the low side to be honest as it's got a fair few things done to it that would suggest it hasn't got the same whp as a 1.6 Peugeot 206 ��������
Old 26-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Regular User

Any chance someone local to me can do a buy dyno to guesstimate please? I have loads of coffee I feel like I have just paid 90pound to be told that I own the lowest horse power subaru out there..... lol
Old 26-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

You say it has supporting mods to go along with the intercooler, who mapped the car for the modifications you've made. A standard UK Turbo with all cats in place was 212-218 from the factory, PPP versions were a bit more and then just losing the downpipe cat and adding a decent panel filter should push it to 250ish, losing all the cats, sorting the standard top mount intercooler hose and then getting a good map on good fuel allows 280 to 290 depending on the car. There isn't really any advantage to adding a big front mount to a TD04. 220ish at the flywheel could be correct.
Old 26-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Every dyno is different and will give different readings you might think its a waste of money but dyno run can tell you if your car is running smooth or crap i found out i had a boost leak via the dyno so i wouldnt say its a waste of money .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 26-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Is that 1.0bar peak or held to redline
A TD04 mapped would normally peak at 1.2bar and tail to about 1.0bar and give 260-280HP depending on supporting mods.

If it's only peaking at 1.0bar and dropping to say 0.7bar then 223bhp sound bang on and probably a stock ECU
Old 26-04-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott.T View Post
Is that 1.0bar peak or held to redline
A TD04 mapped would normally peak at 1.2bar and tail to about 1.0bar and give 260-280HP depending on supporting mods.

If it's only peaking at 1.0bar and dropping to say 0.7bar then 223bhp sound bang on and probably a stock ECU
This

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 26-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Regular User

Thankyou for all your inputs! on another note, anyone know any decent mappers? I don't mind traveling abit but been quoted 650 witch I think is a little steep to be honest? Or is that the going rate these days?
Old 26-04-2017, 11:10 PM

Default Advice on rolling on rolling road figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_wrx View Post
Thankyou for all your inputs! on another note, anyone know any decent mappers? I don't mind traveling abit but been quoted 650 witch I think is a little steep to be honest? Or is that the going rate these days?

Rich @ FB tuning as per my sig below
Or Duncan race dynamix

Are the popular choices in this neck of the woods my personal choice would be the former , £650 is rather steep!

Old 27-04-2017, 06:58 AM

As per above - Rich @ FB Tuning is top choice for me, but have used Duncan @ Race Dynamix in the past.

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 27-04-2017, 07:34 AM

Mapping the 98 ECU will be around that figure as your only option is to fit an ESL live mapable daughterboard inside. These are £295+vat and then there's the mapping fee.
I used to charge £300 for a live map.

Duncan at Race Dynamix is able to source ESL daughterboard.
Anyone else that tells you they can map a 98 ECU that doesn't use ESL is lying and probably just fitting a boost clamp.
Old 27-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Indeed 1998 imports are not mappable without some sort of board added to the ecu.
You are also limited to what aftermarket Ecu,s you can use I would guess for £650 you are getting a Esl board remap and rolling road.
I've used Duncan a few times and I'm really happy with his work
Old 27-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil97rs View Post
Indeed 1998 imports are not mappable without some sort of board added to the ecu.
You are also limited to what aftermarket Ecu,s you can use I would guess for £650 you are getting a Esl board remap and rolling road.
I've used Duncan a few times and I'm really happy with his work
Ah that makes sense, I see you are selling an ecu for 150? I commented on your post, but is it just a plug and play type? And would I be able to just get it mapped without any further modifications to it? Many thanks
Old 27-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

I believe that being a 98 car yours is a V4, the V5/6 (99/00) cars used a different ECU which came with its own set of mapping issues.

Shane
Old 27-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
I believe that being a 98 car yours is a V4, the V5/6 (99/00) cars used a different ECU which came with its own set of mapping issues.

Shane
So the only way to do anything about it is for an aftermarket ecu? For the price for an adaptor for a standard ecu, I could just save the hassle and get an apexi one?
Old 27-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

You only have one option with the v3/4 my97/98 is go with an upgrade with simtek , alcatek , apexi or esl so you would need to spend a bit of money and go with a live map rather than a dyno map .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 27-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
You only have one option with the v3/4 my97/98 is go with an upgrade with simtek , alcatek , apexi or esl so you would need to spend a bit of money and go with a live map rather than a dyno map .
Know anyone selling one? Or a good place that has second hand ones?
Old 27-04-2017, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Know anyone selling one? Or a good place that has second hand ones?
Youre better off buying new tbh as alot people are asking way over what they are worth .

Old 27-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Regular User

Well I see that neil97rs is selling an ecutek one at a reasonable price, would that not just be a plug and play?
Old 27-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well I see that neil97rs is selling an ecutek one at a reasonable price, would that not just be a plug and play?
What v of car is yours

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Old 27-04-2017, 03:16 PM

Used to love my old apexi power fc

Old 27-04-2017, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Ah that makes sense, I see you are selling an ecu for 150? I commented on your post, but is it just a plug and play type? And would I be able to just get it mapped without any further modifications to it? Many thanks
The one I'm selling has a jap aftermarket board in so not sure if it can be remapped here. Also it won't fit yours as it's a different spec for 99 and 00

The ecutek one is sold already

Apexi ecu was good in the day but are a bit dated now and very few people will/can remap.
Best option is an esl board. But depends where u want to be in the end as it's quite limited compared to a syvecs. Only buy once. If you only want it mapped to run uk fuel and a bit more boast esl is more than adequate. You can also get it motorsports enabled for another £100 or so

Last edited by Neil97rs; 27-04-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 27-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil97rs View Post
The one I'm selling has a jap aftermarket board in so not sure if it can be remapped here. Also it won't fit yours as it's a different spec for 99 and 00

The ecutek one is sold already

Apexi ecu was good in the day but are a bit dated now and very few people will/can remap.
Best option is an esl board. But depends where u want to be in the end as it's quite limited compared to a syvecs. Only buy once. If you only want it mapped to run uk fuel and a bit more boast esl is more than adequate. You can also get it motorsports enabled for another £100 or so
Any idea on the best place to get one from?
Old 27-04-2017, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Annoyingly there was one for sale on here recently but believe it sold recently on Scabbynet.
Old 27-04-2017, 08:30 PM

The advantage of the ESL is that the ECU retains all of it's safety features i.e limp mode when it detects a fault and closed loop knock control.
It fits into the ECU via dedicated connection points that Subaru designed in to get around rally regulation. These stated the standard ECU must be used, but didn't state you couldn't put extra stuff inside

Only the very expensive aftermarket ECU have such features and they may even be bolt on extra's (I'm not up to speed with the latest aftermarket). You probably won't see change from £1400 if you want similar ECU technology to the OE ECU.

Apexi are great. They were great in the day and still are today. I've been running mine since 2006.
They actually run smoother than the OE ECU during cruise and you have the benefit of the hand controller to keep an eye on things.
Tools/displays to keep an eye on things with aftermarket ECU are again going to draw a few more £££'s from your pocket.
Old 30-04-2017, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

This is the cheapest ive seen a Alcatek forsale at it fits all v3/4 but will need mapped to your car .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk