South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 13-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Regular User

Default Ring or Bust!!

Starting plans for the Nurburgring going September bro inlaw aranging the whole thing cant wait. Been before but didnt drive, a little nervus to be fair as will be taking the scoob and dont fancy walking back. Any advice would be great, well other than dont drive like a prat ha ha
Old 13-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Default Re: Ring or Bust!!

There are so many things to say, the easiest way would be to come along to a meeting and have a chat.

If there is one single piece of advise it would be:

Make sure you have BREAK DOWN recovery.

This proved to be a very necessary thing to have as two members of our group that went in May/June found out.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:55 PM
worzel

What Ian said.

It was the best £50.00 I spent on the car.

I did however get to spend shedloads on various beverages of an alcoholic persausion thanks to my lowloaded scoob
Old 13-07-2009, 09:57 PM
worzel

If you have the time, you should read through the thread we had for the ring. I don't think we missed a trick to be honest.

It's a fookin long thread but worth while I would say. Take a beer and enjoy the read.
Old 13-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG E
There are so many things to say, the easiest way would be to come along to a meeting and have a chat.

If there is one single piece of advise it would be:

Make sure you have BREAK DOWN recovery.

This proved to be a very necessary thing to have as two members of our group that went in May/June found out.
Not a bad idea hope the peeps that need recovery didnt do any servier damage.
Old 13-07-2009, 10:04 PM
worzel

I most certainly did. My big end had a huge cack and buried itself!

Hence the 2.5 build I'm going through.

Oh well, **** happens. If your lucks out, your lucks out.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Regular User

Who did you find were the best recovery company for the money, AA want £60ish but RAC only want £40, and they dont really explain what you get for you money.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:49 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh3p
Who did you find were the best recovery company for the money, AA want £60ish but RAC only want £40, and they dont really explain what you get for you money.
I went with my current insurer, Duncan (the other poor soul) went with AA.

All you need to know really, is if you breakdown that they will come and try to repair at the roadside, take to a local garage if repairable and most importantly that if it is not easily repairable that they will re-patriate the car back into the country.

My word of advice is, don't just go for the cheapest one. As I discovered when mine frightened the life out of me. Luckily they had made a mistake, but if I had taken the next policy down, it would NOT have covered re-patriation.
Old 14-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel
As I discovered when mine frightened the life out of me. Luckily they had made a mistake, but if I had taken the next policy down, it would NOT have covered re-patriation.
Ouch, I bet you were relieved when they realised their error! after having the bottom drop out the engine, the last thing you'd want was having to argue the case of getting the car recovered back to blighty!
Old 14-07-2009, 12:15 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel
As I discovered when mine frightened the life out of me. Luckily they had made a mistake, but if I had taken the next policy down, it would NOT have covered re-patriation.
Ouch, I bet you were relieved when they realised their error! after having the bottom drop out the engine, the last thing you'd want was having to argue the case of getting the car recovered back to blighty!
I had a real cacky pants moment for sure.

Luckily I knew 100% that I had asked for the top policy they had, as I wanted to ensure that all eventuallities were covered.
Old 23-07-2009, 03:44 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

If your insured with Adrian Flux they do an excellant european breakdown cover. It came free with my policy at the time. And boy did it prove to be worth its weight in gold when I melted my MX5 turbo on the way to le-man a few years back.

Cooked my engine and had to pull over on hard shoulder. Pulled out my paperwork not holding out much hope, and to my suprise they couldn't do enough to help. They organised recovery off motorway to a local farm garage, who poured ice cold water into my engine, proceeded to turn over engine for water to piss out the side of cyclinder head and later proved to buckle my head (thats another story).

But when the garage then phoned the breakdown company to confirm my car was knackered, I just jumped in my mates car carried on down to leman for the weekend of festivities, got a lift back home with my mates to the UK, and the following day my car turned up on a low-loader.

Top service and not worth the gamble of not having it if you intend to go oversea's and have some fun.

I used my RAC policy to get my brothers 911 turbo back from a trackday we done at Marham after he cracked a cyclinder bore, and wasn't that impressed with them at all. It took about 5 hours for a recover lorry to turn up. But still worth every penny though.!