South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 24-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Regular User

Default What Version Engine Is This?

Was hoping someone could clarify what version block I have. It was sold to me as a version 8, image below, in its pre strip down state. There is a water pipe on top of the engine towards the back of the engine, which my version 4 doesn't have. Anyone know what goes on the pipe?

I just wanted to confirm the version if possible so I can ensure I get the right Modine and a few other bits so I can get it fitted in the Storm as the engine expired the other day whilst pottering around at 30mph enjoying the scenery.

I'm fitting version 4 sti heads, again I'm not sure on the cam belt kit configuration particulary if I should use the small idle wheel or not. The pistons are ver 5/6 omega pistons and the heads have been skimmed so I also need to work out the H/G thickness. I was going to aim for 8:1 compression

Bit of a mish mash I know...I won't bore you with the full spec (all forged) though was hoping it would all come together to make a bullet proof 300bhp+ engine, current state below, any comments and advice welcome.

Old 24-08-2013, 05:52 PM
Bronze Member

looks like a newage or mabe a legacy tt
Old 24-08-2013, 06:26 PM
Authorised Trader

its a new-age STi semi-closed deck block..............

the "water pipe" at the back of the block is indeed an extra crank breather so please dont put water in

it can simply be blanked off

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 24-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Authorised Trader

sorry forgot to add timing belt can be either configuration of tensioner type BUT make sure its all 100% from the same style

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 24-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Regular User

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
.............the "water pipe" at the back of the block is indeed an extra crank breather so please dont put water in ...
Convinced for some reason it was water,. not sure how its plumbed in to the standard setup,. would it be worth connecting it to the pipe above the separator plate and the heads then on to a catch can?

Thanks for the info on the cambelt setup very helpful. I'll try a V4 98 setup. Any advice on the modine I note there are a number of variances out there. Is there any differences between JDM sti? and UK sti?

The other thing I was looking at was a sump baffle plate, probably going for a RCM version though noticed a "copy on the bay with a spacer which drops the pickup further into the sump by about 3mm the RCM one doesn't seem to come with this, is it really necessary?

Thanks again for your help much appreciated

Mike
Old 24-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Good luck Mike,
I hope you get it sorted soon
Old 24-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Good luck Mike,
I hope you get it sorted soon
Thanks 'E, hoping it won't take too long, thought I'd take the opportunity to improve the power to weight ratio, I've no chance of loosing weight so more power!!, mind you the kit car guys reckon 250-280bhp tops otherwise its undriveable. Its not so much the engine output with these kit cars, more the lack of weight it pushes. Eventually hoping for some sort of switchable map, an "economy" one at 300bhp per tonne and an **** clincher at 500bhp a tonne, equates to around 250/350bhp so hopefully do-able. Should be a riot once done.
Old 24-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33fy View Post
Eventually hoping for some sort of switchable map, an "economy" one at 300bhp per tonne and an **** clincher at 500bhp a tonne, equates to around 250/350bhp so hopefully do-able. Should be a riot once done.
I am just imagining what that would be like round The Ring..
Old 25-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
I am just imagining what that would be like round The Ring..
Lyddring great first thing on a sunday, bit of buffeting over 100 leptons but manageable, icing on the cake is the pitstop for a full english, doesn't help the buffeting though..lol
Old 30-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Regular User

Just a quick update, heads now nailed firmly on the block, used cometic 1.6mm gaskets which gave an 8:1 compression ratio, hope thats correct. Pleased with how its gone together, first attempt at building an impreza engine and without a mechanical background everything crossed it'll run ok. Image of latest progress below.

Old 30-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Silver Member

That's looking real tidy