South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 23-02-2012, 04:56 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default CAT in the upipe on a blob WRX ?

Can't seem to find a definative answer on this. I know the bug has a cat in the upipe, but does the Blob wrx ?.

Its conflicting from the various threads I have read.
Old 23-02-2012, 05:45 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I don't think the Blob WRX does and this advert from scoobyworld seems to confirm it : http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...roducts_id=446
Old 23-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Regular User

Is it a WRX or STi? As far as i am aware, the WRX uppipe has a cat in place but the STi has a decat uppipe.
Old 23-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbo View Post
Is it a WRX or STi? As far as i am aware, the WRX uppipe has a cat in place but the STi has a decat uppipe.
wrx but with ppp.

Had a quick look under the bonnet, and difficult to see with everything in the way and with heatshields. But if it does have a CAT it must be a narrow one. Would need to see what one looks like with a cat before I could tell whether this one has one or not. I would have thought that perhaps they at least removed this as part of the PPP.

If not looks like I need an STI uppipe, which is more money, effort, gaskets and beginning to wish I hadn't started this process - I can see a blob coming up for sale at this rate and a classic being taken off sale.
Old 23-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Authorised Trader

its a "pre-cat" in the up-pipe and is fitted to all newage 2.0WRX cars bug & blob................

STi's never had them fitted

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 23-02-2012, 07:56 PM

Time to whip it off and smash it out with a hammer then Rob.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:05 PM
Regular User

Mine is an 05 WRX PPP and it has a cat in it, i have recently bought a decat one to replace it, they can be picked up fairly cheaply on scoobynet (STi ones go for about £35/40).
Old 23-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Time to whip it off and smash it out with a hammer then Rob.
Thought about that, but would be worried about leaving a fragment behind, which ends up getting sucked through the turbo

I will see if I can lay my hands on a STI uppipe, or a hawk 2.5 WRXorSTI which I gather are also decat and will fit. Or possibly the right narrow aftermarket Stainless one, that doesn't cause extra lag.

It does goes to explain why I think my classic has about 500rpm less lag than the blob.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:43 PM

It's a straight pipe with the cat at the top so dead easy to see inside.
Old 23-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Silver Member

My blob wrx had a cat in the up pipe, its a bitch to change but worth it. You shold be able to pick up a de-cat up pipe for about £50
Old 23-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
It's a straight pipe with the cat at the top so dead easy to see inside.
Will probably just get stuck in the with the job mate, and see how things go, and if needs be I will order up some new bits later on and finish the job off over another weekend or 2.

Still not sure if the downpipe is a sports cats on the PPP either ?, and what to with the rest of the system.

I want it as quiet and possible so hoping the downpipe is a sports cat which can then stay, next box on the downpipe is a just a silencer (I think), which can also stay, and mid section has a cat in it, which I would probably replace with a decat and leave the Prodrive backbox in place.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:48 PM

Sports cat only on sti ppp and wr1
Old 24-02-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Sports cat only on sti ppp and wr1

Arrrrgghhh. This is becoming never ending, and wished I had'nt started now.

Found this useful link for gutting the uppipe. Which is pretty self explanitory, but does confirm the upipe in this pic looks pretty similar to mine. I can see me getting the dremmel out. Scott your got a wire brush on a flexi/extention at all ?.

http://webpages.charter.net/baraboo_...ppipe_fix.html

Wonder if I could apply the same to the downpipe cat ?. Duno if I could get in there enough to gut it. I've got a spare in my loft rafters will have a look.

Might see a theme coming on, and trying to do this on the cheap as I originally intended.