South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 22-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Default Ruining issues on my Wrx.

Guys;

I'm having a ruining issue with a MY94-WRX (import). and was wondering if any of you may have any incline to what it could possible be, some how I'm managing to be patient with it but i feel it wont be long till i torch the dam thing!
il start of from the begging sorry if this drags a little.

The car had some small mods and was going well. had it dynoed and all was well.
But after a few weeks the car began to feel flat from around 3,800-4,800rpm.
only so slightly and the idle was abit hit and miss and was starting from cold was a pig and had an ever such small miss fire here and there on idle . The EML flashed up saying there was an error with the ICV and Coolant temp sensor. i also had a small weep of oil around the crank case breather, so i thought ill strip the whole top end off replace the coolant temp sensor, source another ICV and clean the bay in general and put it back together,

Well this took a period of 6 months as not having much time to get on with the car.
The car is put back together and ruining but with the same sort of issues just not as bad. and no EML light up.
With the engine stone cold, flick the key to prime the pump,one primed turn to crank over and it starts as it should then dies within a second or two. crank it again and it starts and idles at around 1,600-1,700rpm. all is fine no miss fire, but after around 3-5mins the car becomes warm the idle is sitting nicely at 1,000rpm. it suddenly starts missing and running lumpy and coughing about. and i cant under stand why its doing this.. i must say last nite it was idiling fine running sweet after setting up the tps thought all was great, went to start the car at lunch today and same problem..

The car has been put back to a pretty much stock car.
just has a 3in de catted system, Hks panel filter, Walbro 255ltr, carbon canister ditched, along with the a/c and using a Dawes device.

Here's the bits I've changed/replaced to try and cure the problem.

Airflow meter- swapped.
oil + filter changed.
Coolant replaced.
plugs standard platinum grade 6 not gapped just fitted from the box.
ICV-swapped.
another loom from a 94 wrx as thought mabe a wire has broken down.
TPS-swapped and set to the correct voltage set up.
ECU-swapped from another 94wrx,
Fresh 20 liters of v-power,
new Subaru coolant temp sensor,
coils- swapped to 4 non cracked versions (awaiting on a set of Newgae to arrive in the post to fit)
NEW genuine gaskets on Tb, Turbo-downpipe, uppipe-turbo, Headers-uppipe, header gaskets, inlet manifold gaskets, ICV gasket, rocker cover gaskets,

Does anyone have any other surgestions?

thanks benji
Old 23-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Nige

Sounds like you have done what was needed. Try the new leads when they turn up mate & hope for the best. If not then buy your match's :rally:
Old 23-11-2011, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

That's what i thought Nige,
Weird tho as last night started it again it coughed for a sec or two then ran fine. left it running for 25mins while do other jobs it was fine. then it swicthed itself off didnt cough/spullter just as if some one flicked the key back. i walked round flicked it back on and it started/ran spot on for a further 10-15mins till i switched it off. now i know its out to wind me up!!
Old 23-11-2011, 09:21 AM
Nige

That's what you call a car with character
Old 23-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hey fella, mine had exactally the same symptoms down to a t!!! changed the coolant temp sensor, lamba sensor, plugs and gaskets just like you did, still had the same problem, changed the coil packs and it was problem solved!! had a look at the old coil packs and they were cracked and grubby on the inside, fitted the new ones and the problem went away, hopefully it should solve your problems mate
Old 24-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member

I hope so to mate, still awaiting arrival of my Newage coilys.

Bit of and update!

Took it out last night with my friend on trade plates all was good, drove really nice, and loads of torque and not a miss in slight, few teething errors, but for it been sat for 7 months she drove very well. the brake discs and pads are going to need replacing as didn't clear up like i thought they may. gear stick doest return to the centre any suggestions on this guys? am i right in saying there's a return spring or bush that will want replacing? and it wants the clutch bleed to smooth it up as new clutch fitted.

but apart from that its going well just see what happens when the coil packs arrive..

thanks for the input tho.
Benji
Old 26-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah there should be a spring to get it back to the center, not a big problem, my mates one hasnt got one on hers and its been like it for a good few years with no problems so i wouldnt worry lol

Hope the coil pack work out matey mine could do with some too lol
Old 28-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Bronze Member

it has a spring to return from 4th and 5th and it uses the rubbers to return from 1st and 2nd, it may be relly worth your time fitting an earthing kit Benj as I have had all your issues in the past, coils parks brake down under heat..