South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 21-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Regular User

Angry OMG!!!!!!!

I found out yesterday that i dont actually own my scoob!

I took it into a dealer in brighton to p/ex for a new car only to be told that by a HPI check it has outstanding finance on it from the previous owner! The garage who sold me the car didnt hpi it when they got it... so the soft and smeely brown stuff has hit the fan!

just a warning to others, even if you buy a car from a "repuatable" dealer like i thought i had done, run your own HPI check before handing over the cash!

I now have a scoob that i cant use because the insurance is null and void because im not the legal owner!

Not a happy bunny!
Old 21-07-2011, 12:00 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Eeek

All might not be lost.! Dig deeper into the oustanding finance and check with another HPI company, and speak to the finance company if you can get hold of them to get comfirmation the car does indeed have oustanding finance. Your HPI company should give you the details of the finance company.

I've personally come accross this problem, and sometime the finance company do not update there records with HPI. When in fact it is clear.!
Old 21-07-2011, 12:01 PM

p.s If it does tranpsire its clear, what the steeler offering you in PX for it. PM if you like.
Old 21-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

blimey, hope it all gets sorted for yer
Old 21-07-2011, 01:01 PM
thepieman

Hope you manage to get it sorted out ok Straight back to the dealer me thinks

Have always and will continue to check any car purchases, just to be on the safe side...
Old 21-07-2011, 01:02 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

nice!, as rob said though John, look into it a bit more as sometimes the records aren't updated straight away. Hope you get it sorted mate.
Old 21-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Bronze Member

I'm sure if there is any finance linked to it the dealer you bought it off must be responsible!?
Old 21-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Silver Member

I always do my own HPI and Mileage check on every car I buy, even if they say it has it already.
Old 21-07-2011, 03:06 PM

As said above, if you are unlucky enough to get confirmation it does still have finance. Then you have a legal right to take straight back to the dealer. And if they have any sense they will sort you out very quickly.

So bit of leg work to be done, but chin up as financially you should be OK either way.
Old 21-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Bronze Member

f*cking hell !!! scary stuff. hope you get this sorted mate. all the best.
Old 21-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Regular User

Ok so heres the latest.... Yes there is still outstanding finance owing on the car! I checked with the finance comp today... The dealer i got it from as admitted that they were in the wrong to not hpi check it when they purchased it... I contacted consumer direct, they told me that under the sale of goods act 1979 I am entitled to a full refund of the invoice price because the ownership title to the car still belongs to the finance company!

The dealer i took the car to p/ex it in offered me £5500 against a £22.5 k car! (RS Focus) lol...... I dont think i'll be going down that road, ermmmmm because i cant! I dont own my car! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Im hoping that the dealer who i got it from is collecting it (cos i cant drive it anymore, null n void insurance n all that) tomorrow and giving me my money back!

Consumer direct were very helpfull, so were trading standards and the CAB
Old 21-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny5 View Post
Consumer direct were very helpfull, so were trading standards and the CAB
Sounds like things are on the up then?

Is it rude to ask what you paid for it?
Old 22-07-2011, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Hope you get it sorted mate and hopefully youll end up with a nice cash lump sum
Old 22-07-2011, 10:02 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Well thats a result as you wanted to sell it anyway. Free use of a scoob for a few months lol!.
Old 22-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well thats a result as you wanted to sell it anyway. Free use of a scoob for a few months lol!.
Indeed, hopefully the dealer will roll over, refund you the cash and you'll be able to splash it on a new motor
Old 22-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Sounds like a bit of a result, with the exception being the Focus RS bit....LOL...only kidding.
If I had 22K kicking around I wouldn't mind one too.....
Old 23-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Bronze Member

hope it turns out all ok buddy

Ex owner of - (Scoobie Less at present - still looking for one)

Subaru 1998 Classic UK Saloon (250 BHP) AWD Turbo and Subaru 1994 Classic UK Wagon (211 BHP) AWD Turbo
Old 23-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Bronze Member

That started off sounding really bad - but if it turns out with a full cash refund.... I wouldn't mind that! I love changing cars, expensive though...

Good luck anyway, hope it all comes good for you, sure it will
Old 23-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Regular User

Hope that you can get it sorted soon
Old 26-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Regular User

Ok, another update 4 u guys.... After loads of phone calls to trading standards and to consumer direct I managed to hit the dealer with the sale of goods act 1979 as he didn't have legal title to the goods when he sold them to me! The act states that I'm entitled to a full refund of the original invoice price of £7495..... Bonus as the ford dealer offered me £5500 trade in! The dealer collected the car and gave me the refund in cash..... So I took my money to a local garage and got myself a nice little ford fiesta ST , 2007 with a private plate, 57000 miles, 1 owner, mot n tax, fish, leather with a nice ken wood sat nave/DVD player! So all is well that ends well..... Oh and I did Hpi the fiesta b4 I handed the cash over! Lol
Old 26-07-2011, 10:12 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Glad is all worked out mate.....Fiesta ST is a little different to the RS tho'
Old 26-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Nige

Im sure i seen this Scoob heading in to Rye today. Glad you got it all sorted buddy.