South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default I phone 4s help ?. Icloud problem.

Not sure if we have any guru's or phone teckies in here. But bought a I phone 4s in May 2013 second hand from Ebay all legit and been fine until recently when we upgraded the firmware to IOS8 (big mistake). Since doing it, it keeps prompting me for the previous owners icloud user ID and password, blocking me from using it. So tried a hard reset, and now on boot up I can't even get to a home screen as it's prompting me for the apple ID and password of the previous owner which I don't have.

It's not stolen and I've tried contacting the person I bought it off way back in 2013 but no reply. So currently stuffed with a useless phone and my daughter driving me potty as it was her phone with all her contacts etc,etc.

I now officially hate Apple with a passion. Any help/software/advice other than throw it away gratefully received.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Rob its just that seller has put an ID and password just in case someone stole but forgot to mention it to you when he sold it to you , we call him a JACK B*****D and there's nothing with IOS8 but try taking it to Apple and explain what the problem you have and they might be able to do a full factory restore bud .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 06-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Bronze Member

Rob, was the phone not wiped back to factory defaults when you got it?

I would have expected the previous owner to have done this and that you would have had to set up an iTunes account to re-activate the phone.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:38 AM

Hi yes phone was cleared and Itunes was set up to download apps . But it seems Icloud is something different and ios7/8 now has a find my phone feature that can only be disabled if you have your icloud user id and password. Even if you do a factory reset it does does clear this unless you remember to turn off find my phone first which was not a feature of the old ios so you couldnt even if you wanted to.

On the old ios it looks clear when you do a factory reset but its not and shows up as a problem only when you update to latest ios. Which is a real oversight on Apples behalf and suspect there are not allot of genuine people with a stuffed phone as well as people with stolen phones who are not going to come forward about it.

Ive had a good google and seems there is no known solution just a few software scams. Even Apple say you have to contact the original owner which I have tried but in fairness was well over a year since I purchased it.

Duno.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Bronze Member

If the original owner did a 'full' reset, it would have asked for their password to remove the phone from their account before it completed the wipe!

Have you tried your iTunes password?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

Same thing happened to me a while ago on a iphone 5 i had brought second hand the previous owner had done a factory reset but it was still linked to his Find my iphone app via his apple id so when i updated it wouldnt activate i managed to contact the previous owner and he gave me his details to activate it and remove it from his find my iphone app i got it sorted eventually but it was a right pain in the arse Apple were no help at all they said i need to contact the person i got it off
Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 PM

All sorted now Guy I bought I phone from nearly a year and a half ago, was decent enough to make contact with me via ebay and initially tried a remote delete as per Apples website, which didn't work, so then was good enough to trust me with his Apple/Icloud ID and password for a limited period before he changed his password, which enabled me to do a proper reset and set up on for my daughter.

He could have told me to jog on, but fair play and thanks to him for helping me.

The phone worked fine before we updated the IOS and we were able to set up a Apple ID for the store and worked fine for over a year. It's only when we did the IOS update there seemed to be something much deeper in apples software/phone config and ICloud ID that caused the problem. But sorted now thanks for previous owner of phone.